NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Financial Engines (Nasdaq:FNGN) has been upgraded by TheStreet Ratings from sell to hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and good cash flow from operations. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and premium valuation. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 38.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 24.0%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- FNGN has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 4.84, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- The gross profit margin for FINANCIAL ENGINES INC is rather high; currently it is at 65.10%. Regardless of FNGN's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, FNGN's net profit margin of 9.40% compares favorably to the industry average.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. When compared to other companies in the Capital Markets industry and the overall market, FINANCIAL ENGINES INC's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
Latest Headlines about FNGN
Latest from TheStreet Wire
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV