Newt Gingrich Tops Iowa Poll
DES MOINES, Iowa ( TheStreet) -- Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich's resurgence in the GOP race is apparent in the latest Iowa poll results.
The former House speaker placed first in a Des Moines Register poll released late Saturday, with 25% support, according to the Associated Press. That put Gingrich ahead of Rep. Ron Paul (R., Texas), with 18%, and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, with 16%.
Businessman Herman Cain, a previous top contender, suspended his campaign Saturday amid allegations of sexual harassment and adultery.
With Cain's departure, the race has largely narrowed to a two-man contest between Gingrich and Romney, and some observers say Cain's absence plays in Gingrich's favor.> > Bull or Bear? Vote in Our Poll The Iowa poll is significant because the state's caucuses, scheduled for Jan. 3, 2012, officially kick off the Republican primary season. Winners in early contests can get momentum -- and campaign contributions -- that can carry them through later state battles.
|Republican presidential candidate former Rep. Newt Gingrich appears Saturday on the Republican Presidential Forum on Fox News' "Huckabee" program.|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV