ExecuSpeak Dictionary: High Net Worth
PHILADELPHIA ( MainStreet) -- The meaning of high net worth? It depends. It's not the meaning of "net worth" that creates the variations, though; it's the meaning of the word "high."
The term, in its fullest expression, is high net worth individual. It's generally a description of people with money, property and other assets that greatly exceed their level of debt. But the exact amount of money that makes someone a high net worth individual varies by bank, investment adviser, marketing department, and the Securities Exchange Commission.
The SEC uses the measurement of net worth of $1 million or more as one of many measures to define the phrase "accredited investor." Financial companies may offer services that are exempt from certain SEC rules to accredited investors and that, all by itself, creates a market segment.High net worth individual is a market segment. Financial institutions of all types want to quantify the size of the market of people with investable assets. So the amount of net worth ascribed to a high net worth individual does not always include a primary residence, art, jewelry or any other asset that is not readily converted to cash. The marketing department's interest is typical:
- How big is the market? How many individuals? How many families?
- What services would be of interest and value to this market segment?
- How do we find them so that we may query them and learn of their interests?
- How do we communicate with them to sell our services?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV