The $4 billion Vanguard Selected Value Fund (VASVX) gets top ratings from both Morningstar and S&P Capital IQ. The latter cited it as its top pick in the domestic equity mid-cap category of funds this year.
The fund has a 10-year average annual return of 7.7% putting it in the top 19% of all the funds in its category. For the three-year period through Nov. 25, the fund had an average annualized total return of 19.4% versus 17.8% for its mid-cap value funds peers.Morningstar analyst Dan Culloton writes that the fund's two managers, Jim Barrow and Mark Giambrone, are "traditional value investors who look for dividend-paying companies with strong balance sheets and business models, but whose shares offer above-average yields and below-average valuations. They stay fully invested in a compact portfolio of fewer than 50 stocks and trade infrequently." Its top holdings are cruise-ship line Royal Caribbean Cruises (RCL), Constellation Energy (CEG), a power generation and regulated electric and gas public utility in central Maryland, and Yamana Gold (YRI), which operates six gold mines in Central and South America.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV