As investors regained confidence and ventured back into the global marketplace the fear index took a heavy shot across the bow, ultimately ending the week at November lows.
VXX's 50-day moving average provided little in the way of support as the fund suffered five consecutive days of declines.
iShares Barclays 20+ Year Treasury Bond Fund (TLT) -1.6%
After a five-day slide, long-term U.S. treasuries managed to regain some traction, closing out the week with solid gains. This upward action was not enough to keep TLT off of this week's losers list, however.Defensive assets have fallen out of favor over the past week. However, investors should not avoid writing them off entirely. Funds like TLT can help mitigate losses in the event that fear makes a comeback. Written by Don Dion in Williamstown, Mass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV