As investors regained confidence and ventured back into the global marketplace the fear index took a heavy shot across the bow, ultimately ending the week at November lows.
VXX's 50-day moving average provided little in the way of support as the fund suffered five consecutive days of declines.
iShares Barclays 20+ Year Treasury Bond Fund (TLT) -1.6%
After a five-day slide, long-term U.S. treasuries managed to regain some traction, closing out the week with solid gains. This upward action was not enough to keep TLT off of this week's losers list, however.Defensive assets have fallen out of favor over the past week. However, investors should not avoid writing them off entirely. Funds like TLT can help mitigate losses in the event that fear makes a comeback. Written by Don Dion in Williamstown, Mass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV