General American Investors Company, Inc. (NYSE symbol – GAM), a closed-end investment company, announced that the price at which shares of its common stock will be issued to stockholders who elected to receive additional shares in payment of the 2011 year-end dividend and distribution on its common stock will be $25.48 per share. The issue price represents the average between the high and the low prices on the New York Stock Exchange on December 2, 2011, which was below the net asset value of $30.04 per share on that date. The dividend and distribution is payable on December 23, 2011. As announced on November 2, the dividend and distribution amounts to $0.50 per share in the aggregate and consist of:
- A distribution of $0.3297 per share from net long-term capital gains on securities sold.
- A dividend and distribution of $0.1703 per share from estimated accumulated undistributed income for the full year 2011 and net short-term gains on securities sold.
The final determination as to the taxability of the above amounts will be reported to you in January 2012 via Form 1099-DIV.
General American Investors was founded in 1927, has been publicly traded since its inception, and has been listed on the NYSE since 1930. The objective of the Company is long-term capital appreciation through investment in companies with above average growth potential. General American Investors has net assets of approximately $900 million applicable to its 29.7 million shares of common stock outstanding. The aggregate liquidation value of the Company’s preferred stock is $190.1 million. Its preferred shares (symbol GAM Pr B) are also listed on the NYSE.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV