1. Magnum Hunter Resources (MHR)
Company Profile: Magnum Hunter Resources is an independent exploration and production company. The company is involved with exploratory leases, secondary enhanced oil recovery projects, exploratory drilling, and production of crude oil, natural gas liquids and natural gas in the onshore U.S.Share Price: $4.82 (Dec. 2) 2011 Stock Performance: -33.2% Analyst Consensus: Magnum Hunter Resources gets high marks from analysts because of the acreage it controls in the Marcellus Shale region, a hot spot for natural gas drilling. However, the stock was crushed in August, dropping from above $7 to below $5 in a matter of days, after Magnum Hunter agreed to pay $57 million to property in North Dakota. Not long after, the company said its second-quarter net loss widened from a year earlier, putting further pressure on the stock. Analysts believe in the company's growth, with 15 of the 17 researchers following the stock recommending that investors buy up shares. The average price target of $7.30 represents upside of 51% from current levels. Bullish Case: Canaccord Genuity analyst Marcus Talbert is among the bullish researchers following Magnum Hunter. Last month, Talbert upped his price target on the stock to $8 as he reiterated his "buy" rating on the stock, saying that results for the company continue to improve. "At present, we believe the market does not fully appreciate MHR's rich opportunity set or relative growth potential," Talbert wrote in a Nov. 11 research report. "In addition to progressively better well results, we believe there are material catalysts (Utica developments, asset divestures and/or midstream monetization) that will drive value creation into 2012." >>To see these stocks in action, visit the 10 Top Stocks Under $5 for 2012 portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Robert Holmes in Boston.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Robert Holmes. >To follow Robert Holmes on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/RobTheStreet. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV