7. Abraxas Petroleum (AXAS)
Company Profile: Abraxas is engaged in the exploration and production of crude oil and natural gas along the Texas Gulf Coast, in the Permian Basin of western Texas and in Wyoming.Share Price: $3.73 (Dec. 2) 2011 Stock Performance: -18% Analyst Consensus: Abraxas is a far smaller oil exploration and production company ($344 million market cap) than counterparts like Exxon Mobil (XOM) ($383 billion market cap). However, Abraxas shares are down this year along with the company's production and, as a result, revenue. Still, analysts are behind the stock, with nine of 10 researchers following Abraxas recommending its stock as a "buy." The average price target of $5.50 implies upside of about 47%. Bullish Case: Canaccord Genuity analyst Marcus Talbert reiterated his "buy" call and $5.50 price target on Abraxas last month following the company's third-quarter earnings report and outlook. "We remain constructive on AXAS' transformation progress and growing exposure to an oil-weighted production base," Talbert wrote in the Nov. 14 research report. "The company's execution in each of its core plays continues to exceed our early expectations. In addition to the Bakken development program, we see material catalysts (Eagle Ford/Pekisko monetization) that should unlock embedded value in 2012."
6. MEMC Electronic Materials (WFR) Company Profile: MEMC Electronic Materials manufactures and sells wafers for use in the solar industry. Share Price: $4.28 (Dec. 2) 2011 Stock Performance: -62% Analyst Consensus: Before 2011 began, MEMC Electronic Materials wasn't even close to penny-stock land, with shares trading in the low teens. But what a difference a few months makes. Shares have been on a steady slope downward along with most other solar-related stocks. Like other companies, MEMC is dealing with oversupply issues that have resulted in a weaker earnings outlook than analysts expected. Still, MEMC remains a favorite of analysts in the under $5 world. Nine analysts have a "buy" rating on the stock, although that's only 35% of the total number of researchers following the stock. On the positive side, the average price target of $7.43 implies potential upside of 73% over the next 12 months. Bullish Case: Deutsche Bank analyst Vishal Shah is a believer in MEMC despite the rapid drop in share price this year. In November, Shah reiterated a "buy" rating with a $10 price target after MEMC reported quarterly results. "We acknowledge limited near term catalysts for outperformance but believe semis/solar weakness is already priced into shares," Shah wrote in a Nov. 3 research report. "Bottom line: Q3 results were not ideal, but the worst was likely in the shares. Management is taking the right actions and overall execution seems to be improving - the company generated positive cash flow/free cash flow even in a tough operating environment."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV