NEW YORK ( Stockpickr) -- Over the last few years, a clear trading pattern has emerged. The market zooms ahead and then slumps back on a regular basis. Investors buying into dips and selling into rallies have had an ample number of open windows to jump through.
Another window just opened. The sharp selloff in November has pushed a series of stocks down to their 52-week lows. Here are four that could easily bounce up off of those lows when the market posts one if its periodic rallies. These "high-beta" stocks are likely to possess lot more upside than most in a rising market.
BroadcomChipmaker Broadcom (BRCM) hit a 52-week low earlier this week and trades lower than it did five years ago. In that time, sales have doubled and profits have tripled. Why the selloff? Key customers that use Broadcom's communications semiconductors found themselves with too much inventory recently and curtailed new orders in the current quarter until that inventory has been whittled off. That means the current quarter -- and the first quarter of 2012 as well -- may come in below forecasts. Still, the long-term outlook remains quite bright as Broadcom complements its strength in set-top boxes with a big push into smartphones with its next-generation Wi-Fi technology. Another driver: the increasing adoption of 4G LTE technology being used by wireless service providers such as Verizon and handset makers such as Samsung. Shares now trade for a reasonable 11 times projected 2012 profits, and if you exclude Broadcom's $5 a share in cash, that multiple falls into the high single-digits.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV