NEW YORK, Dec. 2, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- The Randstad Employee Confidence Index increased by 2.4 points to 48.0 in November. The Index, which measures workers' confidence in their personal employment situation and optimism in the economic environment, shows that more workers are optimistic about the economy and job market. In addition, more respondents indicated an increase in confidence in their ability to find new employment.
"Our Employee Confidence Index is nearing the end of 2011 on a relatively high note, despite an unsteady and inconsistent economic year," says Joanie Ruge, senior vice president and chief employment analyst of Randstad Holding US. "As we head into the upcoming holiday season, many retailers are eyeing the monthly employment figures to help predict consumer sentiment—and ultimately consumer spending activity. While job creation still remains steady in the private sector, we have seen more employers and candidates open to part-time work. In fact, retailers alone are hiring about 500,000 seasonal employees this year, many of which are part-time according to the National Retail Federation. While many of these workers would prefer full-time positions, one of the benefits of temporary or part-time employment is the ability to bridge into a permanent position down the road. All in all, we believe that we will continue to see moderate but steady economic growth in the fourth quarter and that trend should continue as we enter 2012."
The online survey was conducted by Harris Interactive on behalf of Randstad. It surveyed 1,280 employed U.S. adults, aged 18 and over
between November 14 and 16, 2011.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV