- Royal Bank of Canada is pulling out of the U.S., expecting to close on a deal to sell its U.S. subsidiary, RBC Bank (USA) to PNC Financial Services Group (PNC), in the first quarter of 2012, for $3.45 billion, which SNL said in June was a $112 million discount to the U.S. subsidiary's book value. Royal Bank's shares closed at $47.03 Thursday, declining 7% year-to-date. Based on a quarterly payout of 54 cents, the shares have a dividend yield of 4.59%. The shares trade for 2.2 times book value and 10 times the consensus fiscal 2012 earnings estimate of $4.55 a share, among analysts polled by FactSet. For the most recent five quarters of data available from SNL, Royal Bank of Canada's ROA has ranged from 0.70% to 1.04%. The consensus 12-month price target for the shares among analysts polled by FactSet is $55.20 and two out of seven analysts rate the shares a buy. The other five analysts all have neutral ratings.
- Toronto-Dominion Bank on Thursday completed its acquisition of MBNA's Canadian credit card portfolio from Bank of America. The company also has continued expanding in the U.S., building on its acquisition of Commerce Bank of Cherry Hill, N.J., in 2007, through several subsequent acquisitions, including the purchase of three failed banks from the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. last year. The shares closed at $71.90 Thursday and were flat year-to-date, with a dividend yield of 3.78%, based on a quarterly payout of 68 cents. ROA has ranged between 0.64% and 1.00% over the past five quarters. The shares trade for 10 times the consensus fiscal 2012 EPS estimate of $7.11 and 2.4 times tangible book value. All seven analysts covering Toronto-Dominion rate the shares a buy, and the consensus price target is $88.34.
- Shares of Bank of Nova Scotia closed at $50.24 Thursday, declining 10% year-to-date. Based on a quarterly payout of 52 cents, the shares have a dividend yield of 4.14%. ROA has ranged from 0.80% to 1.09% over the past five quarters. The shares trade for nearly 11 times the consensus 2012 EPS estimate of $4.79 and 2.8 times tangible book value. The six analysts covering Bank of Nova Scotia are evenly split between buy and hold ratings, and the consensus price target is $61.12.
- Bank of Montreal closed at $59.09 Thursday, returning 8% year to date. Based on a quarterly payout of 70 cents, the shares have a dividend yield of 4.74%. The bank's ROA has ranged from 0.67% to 0.78% over the past four quarters. The shares trade for 10 times the consensus 2012 EPS estimate of $5.74, and just under twice their tangible book value. Bank of Montreal has had the weakest earnings among the big five Canadian banks over the past five quarters, and also has the weakest sentiment among analysts. Out of nine analysts covering Bank of Montreal, four rate the shares a buy, three have neutral ratings, and two analysts recommend selling the shares. The consensus price target is $65.03.
- Shares of Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce closed at $72 Thursday, declining 5% year-to-date. Based on a quarterly payout of 90 cents, the shares have a dividend yield of 5.00%. ROA has ranged from 0.56% to 0.90% over the past five quarters, according to SNL. Five out of nine analysts covering the company rate the shares a buy, while the remaining analysts all have neutral ratings. The consensus price target is $84.82.
Flee to Canada to Dodge U.S. Bank Stock Risk
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.