NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Major freight railroad companies have averted a national strike as they reached a labor agreement with two rail unions and extended negotiations until February with a third. Rail stocks responded favorably Friday.
The three unions -- Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen, the American Train Dispatchers Association and the Brotherhood of Maintenance of Way Employees -- were the only major rail unions of 13 that had failed to reach agreements with the railroad companies before Thursday night.
|Railroads and unions have averted a labor strike|
Class I railroad stocks were gaining Friday. CSX (CSX) was at $22.10, up 37 cents, or 1.7%; Union Pacific (UNP) was at $104.25, up $1.32, or 1.3%; Canadian National (CNI) was $78.01, up 74 cents, or 1%; Kansas City Southern (KSU) was advancing to $69.65, up 88 cents, or 1.3%; Norfolk Southern (NSC) reversed Thursday's losses and was at $75.87, up $1.09, or 1.5%; and Canadian Pacific (CP) was at $61.25, up 96 cents, or 1.6%.
With 12 unions having reached agreements, the railroads will have two months to negotiate a deal with the Brotherhood of Maintenance of Way Employees."Freight rail touches nearly every sector of our economy, and we are committed to finalizing the remaining agreement so that we can continue to deliver for the tens of thousands of American businesses that rely on rail," Edward Hamberger, CEO of the Association of American Railroads, said in a statement. -- Written by Joe Deaux in New York. >Contact by Email. >Follow Joe Deaux on Twitter. Subscribe on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV