NEW YORK ( MainStreet) -- Given the long lines that shoppers must deal with in stores on Thanksgiving weekend, many may prefer to browse for sales online instead, but shopping online can come with long wait times as well.
It took the 25 largest e-commerce Web sites an average of nearly four minutes to respond to customer service questions by phone between Black Friday and Cyber Monday this year, and more than a quarter of the retailers forced customers to wait at least five minutes to speak with someone, according to data from StellaService, a customer service ratings company.
|If you're looking for a hassle-free shopping experience, make the most of your purchases through Amazon and Overstock.|
SonyStyle.com had by far the longest hold time of roughly 11.5 minutes, while other popular retailers such as JCPenney.com and Newegg.com each clocked in at about seven minutes. Several of these same sites also ranked near the bottom of the list in email response time. Newegg.com, for example, had responded to only a quarter of all customer service emails within 24 hours while the J.C. Penney (JCP) Web site didn't respond to any emails in that period.
Needless to say, these wait times are certainly worse than usual. According to StellaService data, the amount of time customers were on hold with these 25 retailers during Thanksgiving weekend was 139% longer than during the first two weeks of November. Still, a handful of businesses including Amazon (AMZN) and Overstock.com (OSTK) had wait times of less than two minutes and managed to respond to all customer emails within 24 hours, even during the busiest shopping time of the year.>To submit a news tip, email: email@example.com. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV