$16 billion medical supply firm Becton Dickinson (BDX), one of the highest-yielding health services stocks, hiked its dividend by 9.76% last week, bringing its quarterly payout to 45 cents per share. The firm develops, complex high-margin medical equipment, including oncology and pathology diagnostic devices, but the its bread and butter is in basic surgical instruments such as needles, syringes and scalpels.
The firm's exposure to staid (even boring) surgical instruments has given Becton some protection from economic conditions in the past, something that can't be said for peers who only develop high-tech, hit-or-miss medical devices. Double-digit margins and ample balance sheet liquidity should keep this firm returning value to shareholders in the form of cash dividends.To see these dividend plays in action, check out the Dividend Stocks for the Week portfolio on Stockpickr. And if you haven't already done so, join Stockpickr today to create your own dividend portfolio. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV