When major corporations need to protect themselves against catastrophic risks, they turn to ACE (ACE). Around 90% of ACE's revenues come from its commercial property-casualty insurance line, a business with high barriers to entry for the otherwise commoditized insurance industry. Because few insurers can offer the scale that ACE offers, the company is able to underwrite profitable policies with reduced competition.
While ACE's industry positioning is certainly enviable, its risk management practices haven't been in recent years. Like other insurance companies, ACE takes the premiums it receives from customers and invests them in the market. As a result of risky investments, though, ACE took larger losses than most peers during the financial crisis.While the firm's portfolios have largely bounced back, the drawdown will hopefully lead to better risk management practices going forward. The firm's recent 34.3% dividend increase brings its yield up to 2.74% at current price levels.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV