5. Tesla Motors (TSLA) designs, develops, manufactures and sells electric vehicles and advanced electric vehicle power train components. The company owns its sales and service network, and markets and sells its vehicles directly to consumers through the phone and Internet, in-person at its corporate events and through its network of Tesla stores. It has sold more than 2,000 Roadsters -- the world's first electric sports car -- worldwide, as of third quarter 2011.
Of the 12 analysts covering the stock, 67% recommend a buy and 25% rate a hold. The stock's average 12-month price target is $39.71, about 21.8% higher than the current price, according to a Bloomberg consensus.
Tesla Motors reported total revenue of $57.6 million for 2011 third quarter, up 84.6% from $31.2 million in the same quarter last year. Cash and cash equivalents and short-term marketable securities totaled 278.4 million at the end of September.The company is currently selling the Tesla Roadster and is developing the Model S -- the world's first electric premium sedan -- for commercial launch in 2012. The company plans to hold a limited showing of the prototype of the Model X crossover by the end of 2011 and to launch it publicly early 2012. In November, Tesla opened three new dealerships in the U.S. at Bellevue, Chicago and Newport Beach and is preparing groundwork to start customer deliveries of Model S next year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV