Essex Property (ESS) pushed the Real Estate industry higher today making it today's featured real estate winner. The industry as a whole closed the day down 0.7%. By the end of trading, Essex Property rose $1.09 (0.8%) to $133.94 on average volume. Throughout the day, 537,451 shares of Essex Property exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 400,300 shares. The stock ranged in a price between $131.16-$134.30 after having opened the day at $133.07 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $132.85. Other companies within the Real Estate industry that increased today were: American Realty Investors Inc (ARL), up 50%, Institutional Financial Markets Inc (IFMI), up 19.5%, Roberts Realty Investors Inc (RPI), up 13.1%, and Supertel Hospitality Inc (SPPR), up 8.6%. Essex Property Trust, Inc., a real estate investment trust (REIT), engages in the ownership, operation, management, acquisition, development, and redevelopment of apartment communities primarily in the West Coast of the United States. Essex Property has a market cap of $4.3 billion and is part of the financial sector. The company has a P/E ratio of 146.5, above the average real estate industry P/E ratio of 129.9 and above the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Shares are up 16.3% year to date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. TheStreet Ratings rates Essex Property as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its increase in net income, revenue growth and solid stock price performance. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including disappointing return on equity, premium valuation and poor profit margins.
- You can view the full Essex Property Ratings Report.
- Use our real estate section to find industry-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.
Latest Headlines about ESS
Cash Dividend On The Way From Essex Property Trust, Inc.'s 7.125% Series H Cumulative Redeemable Preferred Stock
Latest from TheStreet Wire
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV