7. Get a loan!
Looking to expand your business? It might be time to get a bank loan.
Small business borrowing surged in October, according to the Thomson Reuters/PayNet Small Business Lending Index. October was the 15th month of double-digit increase, suggesting that the economy will be expanding going into next year, a Reuters article says.
The index measures the overall volume of financing to U.S. small businesses. It rose 20% in October, higher than September's revised figures of 12%, according to the index.Access to capital was virtually shut off during the worst of the financial crisis, but banks recently have been touting their commitments to lending to small businesses. "I don't know of any bank that is well-capitalized and well-funded that doesn't want to make a loan," says Frank Sorrentino, CEO of North Jersey Community Bank. "The problem is not on the supply side. It's on the demand side." But that is starting to change, he says. "We've noticed recently -- in the last couple of months -- some percolation starting to occur in the small-business environment. We're seeing some of our clients talking about possible expansion," Sorrentino said last month.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV