9. Buying locally continues to gain ground
From small caterers pledging to cook only locally sourced foods to American Express' Small Business Saturday promotion, local businesses finally were in the spotlight in 2011.
As they should be. These businesses are run by some of the brightest and most innovative entrepreneurs and are bringing products and services to the world that, in many examples, could not be done by large corporations.
Bill Brunelle, spokesman for Independent We Stand, a nationwide movement encouraging consumers to shop local, says they didn't hesitate to partner with Amex on their Small Business Saturday initiative."More awareness of the benefits of shopping local benefits everyone, not just Amex. In fact, we'd love to see a Small Business '24-7/365' event to 'shop small' all year round," he says. -- Written by Laurie Kulikowski in New York. To follow Laurie Kulikowski on Twitter, go to: http://twitter.com/#!/LKulikowski To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV