NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Welcome to Don Dion's "ETF Winners and Losers." Be sure to stop by during the week to find out which ETFs are gaining or losing.
iPath Dow Jones UBS Natural Gas Subindex Total Return ETN (GAZ) 2.3%
GAZ and other futures-linked natural gas exchange traded products suffered standout losses during Wednesday's big rally. Heading into December, however, these funds are rebounding, locking in some of the strongest gains in the ETF universe.
ETFS Physical Palladium Shares (PALL) 3.1%Thanks to a four-day rally, the palladium-tracking PALL has managed to recover most of the losses suffered from its late-November sell off. The same upward action is not seen in other physically-based precious metal ETFs: iShares Gold Trust (IAU), iShares Silver Trust (SLV) and ETFS Physical Platinum Shares (PPLT) were relatively unchanged during early afternoon trading. iShares MSCI Brazil Index Fund (EWZ) 1.7% The Brazilian marketplace is up again today. Other members of the BRIC emerging market acronym are heading higher as well, including the iShares FTSE China 25 Index Fund (FXI), which is more than 1%.
LosersiShares MSCI Turkey Investable Market Index Fund (TUR) -2.8% The Turkey ETF has moved back and forth throughout the past week as it works to regain some of the losses suffered during its November decline. Given Turkey's proximity to the EU, shares of TUR will likely be particularly more susceptible to swings in the near term. Use extreme caution here. The iShares MSCI Austria Investable Market Index Fund (EWO) is also suffering standout losses. iPath S&P 500 VIX Short Term Futures ETN (VXX) -2.5% The markets may be seeing mixed action as we approach the weekend, but fear remains on the sidelines. Both VXX and the VIX index are starting off the final month of the year at November lows. It will be interesting to see if confidence continues to hold in the days ahead.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV