Discount carriers such as Allegiant (ALGT) could do well this holiday season, as more travelers who could once afford higher-priced, legacy airlines, are trading down to cheaper-priced air travel, said Raymond James analyst Savanthi Syth.
Allegiant, which is known for servicing smaller areas, is growing its capacity. There has been a dichotomy in the airline industry regarding capacity with legacy airlines cutting capacity to boost their bottom line, while discount airlines are maintaining or adding capacity to service more customers.
Allegiant is also slated to get into Hawaii, a new market, starting next year, Syth noted. The effects of this organic growth should be felt in 2013, she added.One trend to watch for this holiday season is the typical increase in tourism that Las Vegas experiences around the new year. Allegiant may also be along for the Vegas ride since it flies into that city. Allegiant has been able to make up for increases in fuel prices by hiking its fares. The airline reported $191.5 million in operating revenue in the third quarter, up 17% from a year ago. Shares of Allegiant are up almost 6% year to date.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV