Gold: Stock, Commodity or Currency?
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Gold and I have a strange relationship, although I'm trying to make it better. I want to love the yellow metal, because it would be so useful to me if it would just act like a commodity, something I know pretty well how to value and trade. But it refuses.
It also stubbornly refuses to act like a currency, although it does act like one far more frequently. These days, however, gold more often runs straight off and acts like a stock, and a very high beta stock for that matter, running in tandem with other big risk assets.
Stock, commodity or currency? What's a trader to do? If it would only act logically, it would be a terrific addition to my portfolio, as well as for most of you.
The enormous volatility in the stock markets screams to us for a diversifying hedge, but gold hasn't given us much of one in the last few months, not since the stock market first fell off the table in August, when gold rallied strongly. (see chart below)There, that's what we want: A gold price that ramps when the fiscal situation looks dire and can be used to protect our stock portfolios, at least a little. But since that move in August, gold has again reverted to its risk asset profile, following stocks in lockstep -- and not helping us much. With stocks right now acting violently, yet still range-bound, I've tried very hard again to warm up to gold. In late October, after the solid run in stocks, I tried a two-pronged approach, selling only a few high-risk names in my portfolio and buying gold for the first time in five years at $1,760 an ounce. I was almost immediately rewarded with a big move up over $1,800, where I sold 20% of my holdings. Feeling confident that my new strategy would protect my portfolio, I sat back and watched both my stocks and gold plunge, with gold finally finding a near-term bottom under $1700, but recovering yesterday to close around $1,750.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV