By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK (OptionMonster) -- The bulls rediscovered technology on Wednesday.
As the overall market spiked higher, OptionMonster's tracking systems showed especially heavy activity in companies such as CommVault Systems (CVLT), Linear Technology (LLTC) and Blue Coat Systems (BCSI).
LLTC saw buyers early, with money flowing into its January 31 calls for $1.15. KLA-Tencor (KLAC), which provides chip-making equipment, followed in the early afternoon with bulls snapping up its December 47 calls for 85 cents.Then in the final minutes of trading, the attention shifted to BlueCoat and CommVault, with the December 20 calls and the January 55 calls bought in each, respectively. All four stocks rallied 4% to 6.5%, and all the calls purchased were out of the money. This means that traders are looking for the shares to continue higher in coming weeks. Because they lock in the price at which a stock must be purchased, long calls tend to appreciate much more quickly than the underlying equity itself if it rises. The drawback is that they will expire worthless if a rally doesn't occur. Overall option volume was 16 times greater than average in CommVault and 10 times above average in Blue Coat and Linear. In KLAC, it was about triple the average level, according to OptionMonster's systems. Russell has no position in any of the stocks mentioned.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV