NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- For most of 2011, bank stock investors have asked themselves one question repeatedly as the European crisis deepened. Is this 2008 all over again?
Bank stocks have suffered their worst decline since 2008 as investors shoot first and ask questions later, with the SPDR Financial Select Sector (XLF) shedding nearly 25% year to date. The biggest banks have led the plunge, with the KBW Bank Index, a basket of 24 of the largest banks, declining 32% year-to-date.
Concerns over exposure to Europe, dismal capital market revenues, a harsher regulatory environment and an unprecedented downgrade of U.S. debt in August assailed the stocks of Bank of America (BAC), Morgan Stanley (MS) and Citigroup (C) which have shed 60%, 47% and 43% respectively in 2011.JPMorgan Chase (JPM) and Wells Fargo (WFC) declined by a lesser extent, falling by 20% and 29% respectively. Small-cap regional banks fared better, as did credit card companies and mortgage servicers. All data is as of Nov. 29. Bank stocks now trade at such deep discounts to historical valuations- many bluechip names trade below their book value- that
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV