Windows Tablets Fail
Apple and Amazon so far are the only two companies that have been able to get the tablet computing space correct. Microsoft made significant strides in 2011 when it announced that its newest version of Windows, Windows 8, would run on ARM-based chips, and thus be tablet friendly.
But with companies like Hewlett Packard (HPQ), Acer, and Lenovo potentially leaving the tablet market because demand hasn't materialized, Windows-based tablets will be a commercial flop, despite getting good reviews.
Apps Fall Out of Favor
Smart phones have become so popular in part because of "apps" but the presence of HTML5 will really take form in 2012. HTML5 is the language for showcasing information on the web, and as companies like Microsoft, Apple, and others begin to integrate HTML5 into their software, apps could become a thing of the past.
The Internet Suffers Major Terrorist AttackThis has been a threat for years but so far there have been no major outages. That doesn't mean something is not coming of course. Financial exchanges, such as Nasdaq OMX (NDAQ) or NYSE Euronext (NYX), are prime targets.
Mobile Payments Will Take Off2011 was the start of the transition to people using their cell phones to pay for purchases. Both Master Card (MA) and Visa (V) have bet heavily on mobile payments, along with Google and eBay's PayPal. Companies like Starbucks (SBUX) have begun already implementing the technology and the trend is sure to pick up momentum in 2012. --Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV