The Dow component said late Wednesday that its board has approved increasing its yearly cash payout by 50% to 60 cents a share from 40 cents a share last year. The higher dividend is payable on Jan. 18 to shareholders of record on Dec. 16. The move gives Disney shares a forward yield of 1.7% based on Wednesday's closing price of $35.85.
"The Walt Disney Company had a great creative, strategic and financial year in fiscal 2011 with record revenue, net income and earnings per share," said Robert Iger, Disney's president and CEO, in a statement. "We are pleased to be able to raise our shareholder dividend by 50 percent while continuing to invest for future growth."
Disney noted it's been paying dividends to shareholders for more than 50 consecutive years, and also announced its annual shareholder meeting will be held in Kansas City, Mo. on March 13, 2012.Year-to-date, Disney's stock is down nearly 10%, but it's rallied since scraping a 52-week low of $28.19 on Oct. 4. The company reported its fiscal fourth-quarter results on Nov. 10, beating Wall Street's profit expectations by more than 8%. --Written by Michael Baron in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Michael Baron. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV