SACRAMENTO, Calif., Nov. 30, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Aerojet, a GenCorp (NYSE: GY) company, announced that its new scalable effects warhead was successfully demonstrated on Lockheed Martin's Guided Multiple Launch Rocket System-Plus (GMLRS+) rocket today during a flight test at the White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico. This new warhead provides the user the ability to select a range of detonation yields depending on the target.
The warhead was set to low-yield output prior to the 49-kilometer (30-mile) flight and scored a direct hit on the target. The test demonstrated the new warhead's ability to control blast effect with an affordable design.
"This successful flight test represents a significant advancement in capability for the warfighter," said Aerojet's Vice President for Tactical Systems, John Myers. "We continue to invest in affordability and capability improvements for the GMLRS program with our Lockheed Martin partner."
The test at White Sands Missile Range was the second of two Lockheed Martin/Aerojet-funded, Precision Fires Program Office-supported GMLRS+ launches planned for 2011. On Aug. 9, a GMLRS+ round with Aerojet's improved production motor successfully completed a 120-kilometer mission, an improvement in range of approximately 50 kilometers (31 miles) over the current GMLRS round.Aerojet is a world-recognized aerospace and defense leader principally serving the missile and space propulsion, defense and armaments markets. GenCorp is a leading technology-based manufacturer of aerospace and defense products and systems with a real estate segment that includes activities related to the entitlement, sale, and leasing of the company's excess real estate assets. Additional information about Aerojet and GenCorp can be obtained by visiting the companies' websites at http://www.Aerojet.com and http://www.GenCorp.com. SOURCE Aerojet
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV