Central Banks to the Rescue? What Today's Action Means
By John Carney, CNBC.com Senior Editor
NEW YORK (CNBC) -- The attempt by major central banks to ease strains on Europe's credit markets certainly cheered financial markets on Wednesday, but what does the coordinated action actually do?
In essence, the U.S. central bank, or Federal Reserve, agreed to provide cheaper dollar funding to the European Central Bank-- which can then provide cheaper dollar loans to cash-strapped European banks.
The participation of the central banks of Canada, England, Japan and Switzerland is more of an effort to show that all the central bankers are working together than any expectation that there will be lots of dollar borrowings under their facility.
The goal is to ease the credit crunch in Europe. Lots of European banks make dollar denominated loans, in part because U.S. interest rates are so low. The banks do not usually finance these loans in the way you might think -- by lending out the deposits of their retail customers. Instead, the loans are financed by short-term borrowings from other financial institutions.
More from CNBC
Banks React to Central Banking Plan for Europe
The Euro: Flawed From the Start
The Joint Swap Lines Are a Confidence Game
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV