NEW YORK ( MainStreet) -- What's happening in small business today?
1. Sole proprietors saw double-digit increase in sales over Thanksgiving weekend. Sole proprietors saw an average sales increase of 23% during the Thanksgiving weekend retail rush compared with last year, according to Outright, a program that streamlines small-business' taxes and financial transactions from commerce sites such as eBay (EBAY), Amazon (AMZN) and PayPal into a central database.
The data included sales from Thanksgiving day through Cyber Monday. Outright aggregated data from a sampling of the company's 10,000 small-business customers who are sole proprietors from all sectors -- everything from designers to dog walkers to consultants, it says.
The businesses saw the biggest lift in sales on Black Friday. Sole proprietors who used a major e-commerce site to sell products sold an average of $440 this year versus $100 last year over the Thanksgiving weekend.2. NRFsays it's fighting for the little guy on sales tax. The National Retail Federation, a retail industry trade organization, urged the House Judiciary Committee to support legislation that would reform online sales tax laws to offer a more level playing field to bricks-and-mortar stores competing with online sellers. According to the NRF, online sellers have a price advantage that is "stifling" Main Street's ability to compete.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV