Private-equity firm Silver Lake on Wednesday morning offered to buy a minority stake in Yahoo! for $16.60 a share.
The Silver Lake offer was below an offer made by another private-equity firm, TPG Capital. Silver Lake's bid values all of Yahoo! at $20.6 billion. That is significantly lower than some investors believe the company is worth, including Third Point LLC's Dan Loeb.
Loeb valued the company at $27 to $28 a share based on a number of different calculations, including a stake in Alibaba Group, which he valued at $25 billion alone.What exactly is Silver Lake going to do with the Yahoo! stake?
|Yahoo has a dearth of potential bidders, but the outcome is still unclear.|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV