Why US Airways Wants a Deal with American
CHARLOTTE, N.C. TheStreet) -- AMR's (AMR) bankruptcy filing is no doubt viewed as an opportunity by US Airways (LCC), which has long seen a merger with a major carrier as the best way to assure its long-term survival.
US Airways CEO Doug Parker has said frequently that bankruptcy court is the best place to accomplish a merger, because a filing enables reductions in labor costs and reduction or elimination of lease costs for aircraft, airport space and office space.
In the past seven years, Parker has bid for four airlines, three of which were in bankruptcy. In 2004, as CEO of America West, he
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV