The second-largest U.S. homebuilder, D.R. Horton (DHI), has seen its shares gain 16% in the past three months. They have a three-year average annual return of just under 20% -- in the weakest new-home market in a lifetime. Its shares have a market value of $3.4 billion.
The company is one of the largest new-home builders and operates in 72 markets across 26 states. D.R. Horton targets entry-level and first-time home buyers. It also offers finance and closing services.S&P reports that for fiscal 2012, analysts estimate the company will earn 49 cents per share and that will jump 73% to 85 cents in fiscal 2013. The top 10 institutional investors own 45% of the company, led by mutual fund giant Fidelity, at 14%. The company reported last week that it earned 11 cents per share in its fiscal fourth quarter, compared with a loss of 3 cents a year earlier. Significantly, D.R. Horton said its sales backlog as of the end of the third quarter increased to 4,854 homes from 4,128 homes, positioning the company for a stronger start to fiscal 2012. The company said it expects to be profitable next year. Analysts expect the company to earn 51 cents per share in 2012.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV