DVY and HDV both boast heavy weightings towards non-cyclical sectors like utilities, consumer goods and health care. This makes them inherently well-suited to weather market turbulence. In addition, the substantial distributions paid out by these instruments will provide welcomed comfort during duress.
Throughout the past few months, we have seen how the strengths of these dividend-focused funds have shined through. Since the start of August, DVY has remained relatively unchanged, dipping less than 0.5%. HDV, on the other hand has jumped over 1.3%. Comparatively, the SPDR S&P 500 ETF (SPY) and SPDR Dow Jones Industrial Average Index Fund (DIA) have slid 6.5% and 4.0% respectively over this perioyd.
It is easy to get caught up in the ongoing sagas taking place across the global marketplace. While exciting to watch, investors must be careful to avoid letting the daily headlines muddle their decision-making abilities. Long-term focused products like DVY or HDV can help investors overcome today's challenges and prepare for the road ahead.
Written by Don Dion in Williamstown, Mass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV