NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- As if the tremendous and continuing success of products like the iPhone and iPad isn't enough to entice investors, Apple (AAPL) also has more than $81 billion in cash on its books with two-thirds of that amount held outside the United States.
What the company should do with that money has been the subject of debate for years with cries surfacing occasionally for Apple to issue a dividend, do a buyback, or perhaps acquire complimentary companies to help maintain its torrid growth.
After all, Apple doesn't need that kind of cash hoard to fund day-to-day operations, secure parts, or even invest in research and development at this point.
|Apple has been stingy with its cash in the past, but new CEO Tim Cook said he is "not religious" about holding it.|
Wolfram AlphaSafari, Apple's proprietary browser had 4.2% of the market share in October 2011 according to W3 Schools, compared to 38.7% for Mozilla Firefox and 21.7% for Internet Explorer. In the latest iPhone and iOS releases, Apple has heavily featured Wolfram Alpha, a search engine which allows for a wide variety of different searches, as opposed to the standard image and text searches that Google (GOOG), Yahoo (YHOO), and Microsoft's Bing (MSFT) generate. If Apple were to buy Wolfram Alpha, designed by British scientist Stephen Wolfram, and successfully integrate the product into Safari, making it the default search to differentiate Safari from other browsers, this could potentially help Apple capture browser market share. Apple could also look to monetize Wolfram Alpha's API
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV