Consol Energy (CNX) is an $8.5 billion coal and gas producer that's showing us another actionable upside trade right now. In Consol's case, the trade to watch is an inverse head and shoulders setup -- another technical formation that's been developing since the market's Aug. 8 decline. We're watching for a breakout above CNX's neckline before it becomes buyable.
The inverse head and shoulders is one of the most well known technical patterns out there -- but it's also one of the most effective. An academic study conducted by the Federal Reserve Board of New York suggests that the results of 10,000 computer-simulated head-and-shoulders trades resulted in "profits [that] would have been both statistically and economically significant."For traders to replicate that success, risk management is crucial. The deep shoulders on this setup make a protective stop a bit tougher to set -- to combat that, I'd suggest keeping a protective stop at the 50-day moving average. On the breakout, $54 is a conservative upside target.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV