The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
NEW YORK (InvestorPlace) -- Word is that AT&T (T) is going to be back in the business of hocking high-end, exclusive smartphones again starting early next year. Kaufman Bros. analyst Ben Abramovitz said in a Friday research note that Nokia (NOK) and Microsoft's (MSFT) debut collaboration -- the Lumia 800 smartphone powered by the Windows Phone 7.5 operating system -- will arrive in the U.S. in 2012 using AT&T's network as its "window."
A follow-up report in Forbes further detailed Abramovitz's thoughts on the future of Windows phones, predicting, "We believe this poses a potential risk for Sprint (S) and its new long-term commitment to Apple (AAPL)." The thinking, then, is that Windows smartphones are going to be popular with businessmen. Windows phones will staunch the flood of iPhones and Google (GOOG) Android devices into the business market with pocket devices using an extension of popular enterprise PC technology.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV