VENLO, The Netherlands, November 28, 2011 /PRNewswire/ --
- Reallocating resources to accelerate strategic initiatives focused on driving platform success, adding content, expanding geographic presence and growing efficiently
- Streamlining organizational structures to enhance processes, speed and productivity
- Implementation during 2011-2012 to result in approximately 8-10% workforce reduction; restructuring charge to be taken in fourth quarter of 2011; no change to 2011 outlook
QIAGEN N.V. (NASDAQ: QGEN; Frankfurt Prime Standard: QIA) today launched a project to enhance productivity by streamlining the organization and freeing up resources for reallocation to strategic initiatives that will help drive growth and innovation, strengthen its industry leadership position and improve longer-term profitability.
This project aims to eliminate organizational layers and overlapping structures, actions that will enhance QIAGEN's processes, speed and productivity. The vast majority of savings will be reinvested into strategic initiatives that focus on driving the success of automation platforms, particularly the global rollout of QIAsymphony RGQ; adding content to QIAGEN's test menu; and expanding QIAGEN's geographic presence, especially in high-growth emerging markets.
These actions, which will be implemented in 2011 and 2012, are intended to further improve QIAGEN's strong competitive positions in the molecular diagnostics and life sciences markets amid fast-changing conditions."QIAGEN has undergone a significant transformation in recent years, successfully building up a strong presence in molecular diagnostics and the life sciences by leveraging our leadership in Sample & Assay Technologies," said Peer M. Schatz, CEO of QIAGEN N.V. "Strategic initiatives are in place to drive the next wave of growth at QIAGEN. Against a background of short-term challenges in both our business and the industry, we have initiated this project to work more efficiently and reallocate additional resources to these initiatives and prepare for future growth. The emerging opportunities and the speed at which the environment has changed led us to accelerate these plans and take action." Targeted actions include the following:
- Organizational structures will be streamlined throughout QIAGEN, and duplications between global, regional and local activities will be eliminated.
- R&D activities will be focused on high-growth areas in all customer classes. Important to this strategy is greater focus on driving platform success and expanding the menu of regulatory-approved tests to run on QIAGEN's automation platforms. Some R&D programs will be discontinued in order to place greater priority on the most important projects.
- QIAGEN will optimize capacity utilization at selected locations in order to increase production efficiency and leverage investments that have already been made. Improving site utilization will also result in changes for other functions.
- Initiatives are under way to capture savings from the expansion of shared service functions, including administration functions, procurement and data processing, that will provide greater economies of scale. Certain non-core support activities are also planned to be outsourced.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV