(Adds that Goldman's outlook was cut by S&P.)
The Wall Street investment bank regularly updates its "conviction buy" list and the technology recommendations include some of the most commonly held technology stocks, including personal-computing bellwether Apple (AAPL), and business-technology giants Oracle (ORCL) and EMC (EMC), as well as some smaller unknowns such as Synchronoss Technologies (SNCR).
Technology stocks have been battered this year, losing 4.4% of their value in a volatile ride, but in the quarter to date, they are up 2.3%. The gist of it is, if the economy gets rolling, so will technology stocks, but for now, Goldman Sachs is saying this is the best of the bunch. Goldman's main rival, Morgan Stanley (MS), most recently has favored stocks with a defensive bent. The firm said earlier this month that its model portfolio of 48 stocks is overweight in utilities, health care and consumer staples, and is underweight in consumer discretionary and industrials, both of which have underperformed this year. Goldman Sachs itself, along with its competitors, had long-term credit grades cut today by Standard & Poor's, hurt by Europe's debt crisis and a tweaking of rating criteria. On the following pages are Goldman Sachs' nine stock picks in the technology sector:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV