Next Protest: Balance Transfer Day
Not all customers will be eligible for balance transfers depending on their credit score or the amount of their debt, but organizers still encourage those people to take part by submitting a transfer application, which they say "will be like sending a message of protest."
Another option is to transfer a portion of your debt to credit card with a 0% APR, organizers say. Even if the impact is temporary, the hope is that there will be long-term effects in getting better terms and conditions for customers struggling in tough economic times.
Either way, expert advice suggests the organizers should make it more clear that even people who successfully transfer credit should not close their old cards, since it can lower their credit score.Just making an inquiry into a new card can hurt your score -- but probably not by much. Some 650,000 people joined credit unions in the four weeks leading up to Bank Transfer Day, says Patrick Keefe of the Credit Union National Association, and another 40,000 on the day itself, while there were only 600,000 new members in all of 2010. "So in a four-week period, we exceeded one year's growth," he says. "We really do think it was a combination of Bank Transfer Day and the
Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV