This comes at a time when oil prices have been highly volatile, which is a great determinant of energy companies' earnings and share-price performances. Oil prices and stocks have fluctuated violently for weeks with concerns about the European debt crisis and its impact on the world's economy.
But it's not just the economy that has added to that volatility, but also a host of other challenges, including geo-political risk, such as the disruption of supply from the Middle East and North Africa, and catastrophic events, such as the earthquake and tsunami in Japan, and the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.Underlying this is a renewed belief that the global energy supply isn't unlimited and that it will become a factor in controlling the world's economic growth. The S&P 500 Index is down 6.1% this year, while the oil and gas industry, as tracked by Morningstar, has fallen 4.6%. Stocks in the energy sector as tracked by S&P have dropped 6.9%. In 2010, the S&P energy sector index advanced 18%, versus a 13% increase for the broader S&P 500. Here are Goldman Sachs' current energy stock picks for 2011, all with six-month price targets from the bank's latest "conviction buy" list:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV