On Friday, Dealbreaker reported an "unfounded rumor" that said big cuts could be expected by the end of the year.
"Nomura is shutting down all US investment banking activities by the end of the year - 2,000 people are expected to be fired," the cryptic post read.
But a spokesperson said the rumors were unfounded. ""Nomura is committed to its businesses in the Americas," the spokesperson told TheStreet. "At the time of its second quarter results, Nomura announced its intention to reduce its cost run rate by $1.2bn, and we are in the process of executing that plan as quickly as possible. The long term success of the Americas franchise is crucial to the success of Nomura's global strategy and that will not change."Nomura began an aggressive push into the U.S. following the 2008 meltdown, when its American rivals including Bank of America (BAC), Citigroup (C) and Goldman Sachs (GS) were still reeling from the crisis and laying off workers. The Japanese bank took over operations of failed Lehman Brothers in Europe and Asia. Barclays (BCS) took over Lehman's U.S. operations but proceeded to lay off thousands of employees, several of whom landed up in Nomura. Nomura currently has about 2,500 employees in the U.S. --Written by Shanthi Bharatwaj in New York
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Shanthi Bharatwaj. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/shavenk. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV