Jefferies doesn't buy into the idea that Diamond had to manipulate earnings in order to get the Pringles deal done but it did say that "the longer the investigation takes the less confident we get that the company will maintain its FY11 earnings."
Diamond has forecast non-GAAP earnings of $3.05 to $3.15 per share for fiscal 2012 ending in July with sales projected between $1.85 billion and $1.95 billion. The current average estimate of analysts polled by Thomson Reuters is for a profit of $2.90 a share on sales of $1.18 billion for the year, reflecting Wall Street's skepticism. Since the prior guidance was based on the Pringles deal closing in the first half of December, a revision from the company is likely forthcoming.
Wednesday's session low of $26.94 brought Diamond shares down to levels unseen since September 2009.
The deal for Pringles was originally announced in April with the transaction said to be worth $2.35 billion. That value, however, was based on a swap of 29.1 million Diamond shares with a then-estimated worth of $1.5 billion, and the assumption of $850 million in Pringles debt. Diamond's stock was trading in the high $50-low $60 range back then though, raising the possibility a restructuring of the deal may be necessary to complete the transaction.-- Written by Michael Baron in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Michael Baron. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV