NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Black Friday has historically been regarded as the day when retailers move from a loss (red) into profit (black) for the year. While the explanation no longer holds much relevance, this year the day after Thanksgiving could be critical for several major retailers.
Following several quarters, and in some instances, years of mishaps getting back on track during the holiday season is critical for those with fading brands, merchandise misses, internal blunders and large store fleets.
Specifically, in the apparel space, many will be working to reduce inventory levels, which have ballooned in recent months, said Dana Telsey of Telsey Advisory Group.
For a few retailers, the holiday season could be a true turning point. For others, it could solidify their position at the bottom of the barrel.The November and December selling period account for a big chunk of sales for retailers, making up anywhere from 25% to 40% of total holiday sales, according to the National Retail Federation. Here's a look at the retailers heading into the holiday season with challenges that are relying on Black Friday madness to revive their business.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV