The pop queen now boasts 739,370 followers on the social network, compared to Page's 739,241 followers.
Spears ascent to queen of Google Plus helps push the site away from techy early adopters and into the mainstream. Rapper Snoop Dogg is now the third most followed user on the site, followed by Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg and model Tyra Banks.
Google Plus launched in July and now boasts over 40 million users, Page said during the company's third-quarter earnings call. Yet the site, positioned as a rival to Facebook, has struggled with user engagement.Interest in Google Plus may be faltering, as the number of public posts dropped 41% from July to September, according to Web services company 89n. Facebook, in comparison, has seen its user growth taper slightly to 800 million members, but user engagement has increased 31% over last year, according to online performance marketing firm Efficient Frontier. Shares of Google fell 1.2% to $573 in afternoon trading on Wednesday. --Written by Olivia Oran in New York.
>To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/Ozoran. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV