MORRISVILLE, N.C., Nov. 22, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Alliance One International, Inc. (NYSE: AOI) today announced that on November 16, 2011, its Malawi agronomy team received a Golden Leaf Award, awarded by Tobacco Reporter at Tabexpo 2011 held in Prague, related to initiatives that promote farmer sustainability and food security in Malawi.
Mark W. Kehaya, Chairman of the Board of Directors and Chief Executive Officer, said, " Malawi is an important burley sourcing market where we have a factory and developed presence. Our Malawi agronomy team has been focused on increasing contract growing through our Integrated Production System ('IPS'), which we have demonstrated improves quality, crop yields and profit to the farmer."
J. Pieter Sikkel, President, commented, "Individual farmer contracting with IPS allows our team on the ground to help the farmer institute best agronomic practices in a compliant and socially responsible manner. Our model is predicated on farmer sustainability to ensure that tobacco is produced to the quality and quantity required by our customers."Graham Kayes, AOI's Regional African Director, remarked, "We are honored to receive this prestigious award that reflects our commitment to the farmer in Malawi. I would also like to acknowledge the contribution made by all members of the Alliance One agronomy team in Malawi for making this possible." Alliance One International is a leading independent leaf tobacco merchant serving the world's large multinational cigarette manufacturers. For more information on Alliance One, visit the Company's website at www.aointl.com. SOURCE Alliance One International, Inc.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV