By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
The education company's stock had fallen from over $19 in April 2010 to a decade-plus low of $1.24 early last month. The stock popped after management predicted improvement when it reported earnings on Nov. 1, but shares have since drifted lower again and Monday closed at $2.57, down 3.75% on the session.
In late-morning trading Monday, OptionMonster's real-time systems detected a surge of activity in the February 2 calls, with about 3,000 purchased for 85 cents and 90 cents. Volume was more than 14 times open interest in the strike.The contracts are in the money, which means that they will closely track movement in the underlying share price. Unlike out-of-the-money calls, they will keep some of their value as long as Corinthian's shares stay above $2. Short interest ended last month at 28% of the float, which could also help drive upside in the stock. Overall option volume in the stock was 10 times greater than average in the session, with calls outnumbering puts by 19 to 1. Russell has no positions in COCO.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV