Taking a step away from short ETFs, Wynn Resorts (WYNN) is forming a significantly less auspicious setup right now. Although this stock has been a strong performer in 2011 (beating the S&P 500 by double digits as I write), this casino operator could be headed lower into year-end.
That's because Wynn is currently forming a descending triangle, a pattern that's characterized by a horizontal support level that's acting as a "floor" for shares, and downtrending resistance above. As prices get squeezed closer and closer to support, sellers absorb some of the excess of demand for shares below, weakening support, and increasing the probability of a breakdown.
Wynn pushed below its support level in yesterday's trading. While that's not a sell signal in and of itself, confirmation today would be -- an open below $117 makes Wynn a short candidate. Nearest support at around $105 (adjusted for the firm's $5 dividend payout) is a reasonable near-term target.Wynn is one of the top holdings of Ken Heebner's Capital Growth Management, comprising 1.7% of the portfolio.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV