Zale Corporation (NYSE: ZLC) today announced its financial results for the first quarter ended October 31, 2011.
Fiscal First Quarter 2012 Results
Revenues for the quarter ended October 31, 2011 were $351 million, an increase of $24 million, or 7.3%, compared to $327 million in the same period last year. Comparable store sales, which are based on year-over-year merchandise sales, increased 5.8% during the quarter ended October 31, 2011, compared to a decrease of 1.1% during the same period last year. At constant exchange rates, which exclude the effect of translating Canadian currency denominated sales into U.S. dollars, comparable store sales increased 5.2% for the quarter.
For the quarter ended October 31, 2011, gross margin was $188 million, an increase of 13.7% compared to $165 million in the same period last year. The Company achieved gross margin of 53.5%, compared to 50.5% in the comparable quarter last year. The 300 basis point improvement was achieved through a combination of price increases and lower levels of merchandise discounts, partially offset by the impact of rising commodity costs. Gross margin was also impacted by an 85 basis point increase from the change in warranty revenue recognition.Selling, general and administrative expenses were $200 million, or 56.9% of revenues, in the quarter ended October 31, 2011, compared to $195 million, or 59.7% of revenues, in the same period last year. The improvement as a percent of revenues reflects greater operating leverage of store and corporate expenses. The Company’s operating loss for the quarter was $22 million compared to an operating loss of $42 million in the prior year quarter. Operating margin improved 640 basis points, to negative 6.4%, for the quarter ended October 31, 2011, compared to negative 12.8% in the same period last year. The 640 basis point increase was primarily driven by gross margin improvement and greater operating leverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV