BIRMINGHAM, Ala., Nov. 21, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- As part of October's Get Smart About Credit Month, BBVA Compass employee volunteers educated high school students from across the bank's seven state footprint on the fundamentals of financial responsibility and how to successfully manage credit. The employee volunteers taught 150 financial education classes, reaching more than 5,000 juniors and seniors.
"As a financial institution whose vision is to work for a better future for people, we strongly believe in teaching young adults how to manage their finances at an early age," said Rey Ocanas, director of Corporate Responsibility and Reputation for BBVA Compass. "Programs such as Get Smart About Credit establish a foundation that will benefit them throughout their lives. We are proud of our employees for recognizing this and taking time out of their day to teach students these valuable lessons on financial responsibility."
BBVA Compass employee volunteers taught students not only how to manage a credit card, but also the importance of good credit and how to read a credit report. They also emphasized how to protect personal financial information and recognize the signs of overspending, as well as the benefits of budgeting now to help avoid credit problems later.
"The need for credit education and the lack of school resources make volunteer efforts more important than ever," said Laura Fisher executive director of the ABA Education Foundation, which sponsors Get Smart About Credit. "We're proud to call BBVA Compass our partners as we work together to improve financial literacy nationwide."This is the bank's third consecutive year to support Get Smart About Credit initiative. In October last year, BBVA Compass employee volunteers across the footprint reached 2,000 high school students during Get Smart About Credit Month. This year, employee volunteers reached more than 5,000 students, an increase of 150 percent.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV