NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Bank of America (BAC) efforts to build its capital cushion for regulatory purposes remain on track and drove outperformance of Bank of America shares last week, according to a report published Monday by Wells Fargo.
Bank of America announced last week it would sell a $6.6 billion stake in China Construction Bank. Bank of America also issued $2.1 billion in common stock to retire preferred and trust-preferred shares worth $2.7 billion.
Both moves are aimed at helping Bank of America achieve management's 6.75-7% Basel 3 Tier-1 common capital targets by the end of 2012, according to Wells Fargo analyst Matt Burnell. Burnell estimates the moves could improve Bank of America's tier 1 capital by 0.38%, with an additional 0.13% if the bank can sell its European credit card business. However, Burnell argues a sale would be a "stretch goal in this environment." Still, he expects Bank of America to achieve its tier 1 targets "through continued rationalization," he wrote.Bank of America shares fell 6.9% last week compared to an 8% decline in shares of JPMorgan Chase (JPM), a 10.4% drop at Citigroup (C), a 9.6% fall at Goldman Sachs (GS) and a 13.1% fall in Morgan Stanley (MS)shares over the same period. Wells Fargo (WFC), however was the clear outperformer among U.S. financial giants, losing just 3% last week. Results as of mid-Monday were a bit mixed, however, with both Goldman and JPMorgan narrowly outperforming Bank of America, though share price declines at all those banks hovered around 3%, Morgan Stanley and Citigroup were the poorest performers by a significant margin, down 6.3% and 5.4%, respectively. -- Written by Dan Freed in New York. Follow this writer on twitter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV